Brightkite recently announced it’s iPhone App coming to the iTunes App Store soon. Here’s the video demo of the application:
I have been using Brightkite along with Twitter for couple of months now since James has invited me to the service. It’s a darn impressive social networking application that uses Yahoo’s Fire Eagle which allows users to manage their location.
The features that are planned for the Brightkite iPhone app are:
- Auto geo-location including Place Snapping and Pick a Place
- Notifications (nearby friends, posts, friend requests, comments & mentions)
- Posting photos and notes to locations
- Nearby people and activity feed
- Friends lists and activity feed
- People, places and posts search
- Threaded messaging
- Profile streams
- Place steams
- Commenting on posts
The only drawbacks that I currently forsee are the following (at least w/ Brightkite.com web app):
- You must have the discipline to “check in” to your current location. I’m hoping the “auto geo-location” can address this with no sweat.
- Sometimes, the syncing between Brightkite and Twitter does not work. I think this is more on Twitter’s end (from what I heard following @brightkite).
- There were a couple of times an emailed photo would appear late (2-hours late one-time) from the time it was taken.
All in all, it’s a great service. I can’t wait to use that iPhone app vs. going to Safari every time to check-in. I just hope the syncing (Brightkite to Twitter) get’s polished.